The Dixie Vice-President for Events is responsible for the effective planning and budgeting, site selection, and operation of all events held within the district. Duties are:
- Serve as general chairman for the spring and fall district conventions
- Serve as chairman of the District Convention Team
- Assist the VP of Music & Performance in planning and operating District Top Gun School
- Assist the VP of Music & Performance in planning and operating Dixie Lakeside Harmony Weekend
- Assure that the district convention manuals are up-to-date and used
- Assure that Society contest sound and lighting guidelines are followed
- Act as contract and venue advisor for chapter shows
Frequently Asked Questions
- How are the district convention cities and venues chosen?
- The VP for Events and/or members of the District Convention Team get bids from interested cities. Their recommendations go to the District BOD, and the BOD has the final say.
- Who is responsible for running the district conventions?
- The VP Events is ultimately responsible by overseeing the District Convention Team and the host chapter volunteers. Each member of the District Team oversees one area, and utilizes the host chapter volunteers in their area.
- How is the host chapter for conventions selected?
- The VP for Events takes bids from interested chapters and makes the selection based on the chapter's experience, administrative skills, and overall work ethic and attitude.
- Who may host a district convention?
- Any chapter in the Dixie District may serve as the host chapter.
- Are any new cities being considered for future conventions?
- In 1997, the District BOD identified a "central corridor" where all district conventions were to be held. Last year the BOD modified this to say that district conventions will be placed anywhere within the district that best benefits the members and offers a place for barbershoppers and their families to enjoy a weekend away from home. So yes, new cities are being considered and will be selected in the future.